Many of us can relate to burning out, which can result from chronic workplace stress that has not been successfully managed. What is the contrast between burnout and languishing, and on the flipside, flourishing at work? Evelyn and AJ Adams, Founder & CEO of Brio Training & Consulting, address strategies for developing resilience amongst teams through mindfulness and high-quality connections.
You can download the episode here.
- What is burnout and what causes it? What are the signs that someone is headed toward burnout? How does it affect an organization?
- Exhaustion or depleted energy
- Disengaged with work
- Decreased productivity
- The DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) defines burnout as a syndrome resulting from chronic workplace stress that has not been successfully managed (American Institute of Stress).
- Who does burnout affect? Does or can burnout affect certain groups more than others (e.g. working parents, caregivers)? Do data or studies illustrate this?
- Where is burnout happening? Does burnout play out differently across cultures?
- Are there any differences in the levels of burnout we’ve seen pre-pandemic vs. what people are going through right now?
- Why burnout is such a hot topic now for HR leaders.
- Shift from companies using HR to remain compliant to a more people-first approach.
- Humans aren’t robots - they have physical and psychological needs
- In AJ's work and presentations, has this been the case? Are we talking about burnout enough?
- What is languishing and how that’s different from burnout? (Adam Grant for the NY Times)
- Resilience is when someone can bounce back from challenges successfully. It usually comes up when stressful things in life happen.
- Resilience important for well-being
- How can people leaders show their commitment to building resilient teams?
- What are some other positive benefits of having resilience?
- Greater job satisfaction, happiness at work, commitment to the organization, engagement (Workplace Mental Health.org)
- Higher self-esteem, sense of purpose, improved interpersonal relationships (the human component of culture)
- Better productivity
- How do we point out burnout when we see it in coworkers?
- What can organizations do to help their employees? What resources would you recommend for learning more about resilience in the workplace?
- PERKS is your one-stop-shop for everything employee happiness, e.g. Headspace, virtual fitness classes, gratitude journals.
- AJ, in your opinion what are the benefits of offering these choices for organizations building resilient teams?
- People support is at the center of all of our culture tools at PERKS
Learn more about Brio Training & Consulting at https://brioatwork.com/.